Collegiate shag is not really collegiate shag.

Though I use the term 'Collegiate Shag' all over my website, in my classes, and on my workshop fliers to describe a dance executed in either six and eight counts, and though most call  what I do Collegiate Shag, I really do very little collegiate shag, at least as it has been defined pre 1990.

I specifically use the term 'Collegiate' because I want people to find me on search engines, because I really don't want to confuse people with the style of dance that I do, and because I don't really want to say that anybody else's definition is all messed up.  But if you ever talk to me in person, I surely do not call myself a "Collegiate Shag" dancer. I and most others that I know will simply call myself a shagger.

Collegiate Shag is a term that became popular by all of us in the 90's to describe our dance and to differentiate it from other forms of shag that were more popular, like say modern Carolina Shag. In fact, Collegiate Shag was mentioned only once that I am aware of, and only in writing. It was used to describe triple steps in the place of quick quicks in shag. It's funny. On all the Arthur Murray teaches collegiate shag clips out there, he never once uses the word 'Collegiate' to describe it.

I do do this rhythm, it often reminds me of balboa with triple steps, except it's pretty easy to make it look more shaggy. In double rhythm, it tends to look a lot like east coast swing too, so only practice it in single rhythm shag.  And also, when I do it at speeds of greater than 180, it always looks muddled. I think of it more as a slow shag rhythm. It's fun, I just don't do it or teach it often.

Oh, and "Carolina" shag also has the same problem. Back in the 30's and 40's it was defined multiple times to be a subset of the shag we know as "collegiate."

This probably doesn't matter to anybody but me considering you can "google" up something, or you can buy "bling" for your gal.

-- see you shagmasters on the floor.!